Monday, November 14, 2011

Jobs, Castles, Comedy,and Essays

The past week and a half has been very very busy.  On November 3rd I had an interview with the Think Tank: Flash Journal Project.  I had a great interview, and was super pleased when I got a call back later that same day! :)  The position is a very part time one, but its paid!  I'll be working with a committee of people from a variety of different universities in combination with the Nottingham Contemporary Museum.  I have my first meeting this coming wednesday, where I'll get more info and really get stuck in :)

Click for more details!

This past weekend I went to Nottingham Castle to tour around and see some super cheesy Robin Hood exhibitions.  The main gallery space is being redone, so I wasn't able to see it all.  BUT I did finally see a small section of Historical Fashion... so exciting!  The views of the city where pretty great as well, since the Castle sits on a massive hill.  Later that night I went to see my first british comedy show.  Although there is not a true language barrier, I have discovered that at times there is a giant accent barrier.  Unfortunately in addition to the comedians being just alright, I could barely understand 2 or the 3. :(  I'm sure eventually I'll get better a better ear for them... but right now its a struggle.

On less interesting and more academic news I've finished my first small essay.  I researched a film-maker named Malcolm Le Grice and his piece Berlin Horse...




The essay only took 2 hours to write, but involved many more hours of research.  It felt good to have a deadline, and something more concrete to be working on.  All the theory, and learning how to be critical art historians has been more mentally exhausting than I'd have thought.  I can't go into an exhibition now without critiquing the curators every choice.  No one ever talks about the side effects of a masters. :p


No comments:

Post a Comment