Thursday, October 6, 2011

Why British healthcare is better than American healthcare...

There has been much debate surrounding the healthcare debate.  Here is my personal experience:

I've been in the UK for a month.  My wrists have been killing me for 12 years.  Both my Grandmother and Mother have had carpal tunnel surgery.  I've been uninsured for the past 3 years and haven't been able to have a doctor look at them.  The past 6 months I was lucky enough to qualify for a family planning program funded by the MN state system.  If it hadn't been for that I would be paying $90 a month for my birth control while in the US.

Within the first few days of being in the UK I went to the local doctors office and registered for a NHS card.  I received my official card in a few weeks and was insured from then on.  Yesterday I decided to put a call in for an appointment to get prescriptions for my medications and check my wrists out.  I was able to get in the next day (today).  I went in, nervous I'd have to pay a copay with no money in my account as my US loan hasn't gone through, waited for a few mins then was seen.  The doctor I saw was amazing.  I have a free prescription for my birth control, because it just is free here, and a referral to be seen by an expert for my wrists.  The doctor told me it may take a few weeks to get in to be seen with the referral.  But I don't mind, because its free and I'm here for over a year to get it all sorted.

FREE  No copays, no sliding scale, no mean receptionist scheduling appointments.  Can you imagine if the US had a system like this.... I can't.  Because people have tried to create it, and for some reason people were outraged at a loss of their privacy and freedom.  Because watching your struggling neighbors die without insurance, or bankrupt themselves trying to be seen by a doctor is truly what freedom means.  That is the largest load of ridiculous bullshit I've ever heard.  The British people I've spoken with about healthcare can't fathom how a country like the US, a "superpower", doesn't care about the people that live there.  And I couldn't agree more.

Updates to come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment